Friday, August 10, 2012

Montessori Day 3/Week 1

(on Thursday)
"Piper, what did you do at school today?"
"Sat in the green chair."

She has talked about a green chair since she left school yesterday.  This morning she wanted to return to school and sit in the green chair.  She talked about it on the drive up.

We walked into the front door and saw that there were children sitting in a large circle on the floor.  Piper walked into the middle of the circle as Ms. Marie greeted her.  I heard Piper ask about the green chair, and Ms. Marie responded that they were sitting on the floor today.

And we left.  Left it for the instructor and Piper to work out.  And that's perhaps the toughest part.  I know Piper.  I know she's either look a little disappointed, and then go sit right down and not worry about it.  Or she'll stamp her foot, and insist on the green chair with increasing urgency.  But its between her and her instructor.  Right now its not my job to rush in there and mediate or try to reason with her or distract her.  Someone else is taking care of that.  And man its tough.

Yesterday evening after I got home from work I took Piper and Griffin and our lab, Yazhi, on a walk around the park.  We were swarmed by groups of kids, some of whom remember who Piper is, but almost all of them are older than her, at least 7 or so.  But the kids were fascinated with Yazhi, and kept asking how I didn't drop Griffin (who I had in a football hold).  Piper quietly asked kids their names, and when they didn't hear or notice her, she said "Excuse me, what's your name?".  At one point there were almost a dozen kids around us, petting Yazhi and peppering me with questions, so I only kept one eye on Piper.  Usually I am like a hawk, closely watching her social interaction.  I want her to be bold enough to speak to people, and polite when she does.  Sometimes I translate ("She asked suchandsuch") when an older kid doesn't understand her.  I also like to try to make sure that she is being treated fairly.  And that's the toughest part for me - because I can't do that forever (and shouldn't, of course).   But that's what breaks my heart.  Piper will meet mean people who will be downright nasty to her.  And she won't understand at first.  Months ago a girl at the playground had a shoebox with a doll or something in it and had set it down.  Piper was curious and looked into it without touching it, and the girl ran over and snatched it up without a word.  Her prerogative of course, but Piper asked why the girl had some and taken the box.  "It's her box, Piper, and she doesn't have to let people play with it or look at it if she doesn't want to."   The kids yesterday were all pleasant.  One was a little girl from the other side of our neighborhood who gave Piper a freeze-pop a few weeks back.  Piper asked her about the beads in her hair, and what color her eyes were.  I noticed that P was either shaking kids hands, or holding their hands.  The shaking hands thing is something that we've done a little, but they also do at school.   Last night at bedtime she asked me why one of the kids had pulled her hand away.  "Some people may not like to shake hands.  And that's okay."  I told her.

Sigh.

Today was a great day.  Her first "week" at Montessori.  Apparently the green chair thing was no big deal.  When she left she asked why she didn't get to bring her art home with her.  We explained that perhaps they wanted to keep it in the class so she could see it there.  We milled around there with a few of the other parents and their kids.  Much of the nervousness I felt earlier in the week was gone, and we had a friendly chat.  Piper told us that she'd enjoyed painting and coloring, and that was that.  For a treat, we went and rode the trolley in a huge loop around downtown Memphis.   She loved it.  And so did I.


No comments: